Graduate & Professional Writing Center
Professional Development for Future Faculty
Smith CUE 414
There are two tutoring options:
1. Schedule an appointment (first time users must register for an account)
Schedule an appointment for an in-depth face-to-face consultation focusing on broader writing issues. For a schedule appointment, you must submit your project at least 24 hours before the appointment. Writing projects should be limited to 12-15 double-spaced pages and submitted via dropitto.me/gpwc.
Once at dropitto.me/gpwc, to submit a document you:
- You will first be prompted to enter a password. The password is: gpwc
- Once the password is entered, click the button “choose file”
- Select the file you would like to have read by a tutor and click “choose”
- Click the “upload” button.
The file is then successfully submitted to the GPWC and can be accessed by your tutor.
Please make sure to have YOUR NAME on any documents submitted to the GPWC so that the tutors can read the correct document.
2. Open Hours / Monday 10am - 12pm, Wednesday 1pm - 3pm, Friday 1:30pm - 4:30pm
The GPWC now has open lab hours. They are currently scheduled on Fridays, however this may change throughout the semester. If you are mainly interested in proofreading/copy edit help (grammar, punctuation, word use, etc.) then you are welcome to drop in.
- Because the GPWC is designed as an instructional service, all proofreading will be done face-to-face with a GPWC tutor.
- Students who come to the open lab time are limited to a review of 5 pages of work for the session and all sessions are limited to a maximum of 30 minutes.
- The goal of these open hours is for students/professionals to work with a tutor, not just to fix convention errors; these sessions are also to help the writer identify their errors more effectively in the future.
- Because proofreading/copy edit services are now available during open lab hours, these services will NO LONGER be supplied during scheduled tutor appointments. Tutor appointments are now exclusively designed to deal with larger compositional and rhetorical issues
- When you schedule an appointment with a tutor it is now mandatory to meet with that tutor in person during the appointment hour. Comments made by the tutor will NO LONGER be emailed back to the author unless the author meets with the tutor during the designated appointment hour to discuss tutor comments.
- Students/Professionals are, as a general rule, limited to a total of ONE scheduled appointment during a calendar week. If a student would like to schedule more than one appointment he/she should contact the GPWC for specific information on how to go about doing so.
The mission of the GPWC is to assist graduate and professional students from all disciplines with all types of written communications from papers and publications that must be written as researchers, to syllabi and assignments students must prepare as teachers.
Note:The GPWC offers very limited proofreading services.
Smith CUE 414
- Multiple hours throughout the week by appointment.
- Open Hours, Wednesday 1pm-3pm & Friday 1:30pm-4:30pm.